Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Live Like No one Else so you can later Live like no one else!

For those who don't know this quote it is from Dave Ramsey-Financial Peace guy. Dave has been in our family for awhile now, but really took off this month. We went to his conference in Portland Oregon the first weekend of November. I would have to say his conference pumped Jon and I up to really tackle our debt and stick to our budget. The sticking to our budget has been a struggle for us, this month it is surprisingly going well. I don't like budgets, they give me headaches I don't like numbers but hopefully at the end of the month things will look good in the Anderson budget. I have become more coupon savvy and I have pictures of gazelles by my computer. Weird, yes!!!! Inspiring, I guess!!! Dave talks about the gazelles you have to go through his financial peace class to get the "just" of it. I'm thankful my husband pushed this class and the conference. We gave up cable tv 2 weeks ago, b/c our cable bill was going to go up. We get some channels with rabbit ears, not bad. I am not much of a tv watcher anyways so does not bother me, the constant snow sometimes does, but hey to save a few bucks will count later in life. I want to scream I am debt free when that time happens for us. We have sometime to go before becoming debt free, but we will get there.

6 comments:

Jina said...

Good for you guys! Our pastor always says that sacrifice is giving up something you want for something you want even more. Keep reminding yourself of that truth when it comes to deciding between the little things that add up... or the vast financial picture in its totality.

Anderson Fam said...

Thanks Jina. Your right you have to sacrifice now for something you want later. I hope you are feeling much better today.

@sweetbabboo said...

We gave up cable too. It just didn't seem worth the money as rarely as we watched it. It has been frustrating at times (like watching the debates) but in general I can get my tv online. I use abc.com and hulu.com to keep up with my faves.

Anderson Fam said...

Abby-

Thanks for the hula.com and the abc.com to keep up with faves. I find I don't have time for tv chasing a toddler around anyways. Not worth the money, I agree!!! Too much stuff on there we don't need to watch anyways.

Cesar Cuevas said...

Heather,
It is funny that I was searching for a new cable company as I had purchased Magicjack from their site for our home service. If you have internet then you can have the magicjack as your home phone if you need one like me. That cut out my monthly phone service out completely. All I paid was the $39.95 for the unit and it plugs into my computer. Of course I can only use it when the computer is on, but that is only when I need it. There is no monthly bill after you purchase it and only a anual charge of $19.95/year.
Anyway...I went to cancel my service with Comcast which I was paying $99/month for the bundle of tv, internet and phone. When they told me that if I dropped the phone service that my monthly service would then be $98.50 I of course was upset. They would not negotiate so I started looking around and found Direct TV has a 12 month special for $29.95 for 150 channels, but they require a credit card to charge monthly which is fine. I added the internet with them and they also had a special of $19.95 for the first 6 months then $29.95 for the remainder of the 6 month contract which still is less than what I am paying now.
I know especially in this day and time how important budgets are.
Any way to save it great.
Hope you can use this info to help with your budget.

Anderson Fam said...

Cesar-

Thanks for the budget deals for cable. My husband helped make the picture clearer from adjusting the antenna upstairs in our home. No more snow now!!! We will probably get rid of the home phone eventually, well maybe but because I am a stay at home mom I like to have a home phone and for my business.